"In our search to obtain relief from the stresses of life, may we earnestly seek ways to simplify our lives. May we comply with the inspired counsel and direction the Lord has given us in the great plan of happiness. May we be worthy to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost and follow the guidance of the Spirit as we navigate this mortal journey. May we prepare ourselves to accomplish the ultimate purpose of this mortal test- to return and live with our Heavenly Father."

-L. Tom Perry

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

some thoughts

I've been reading one of the books I got for Christmas. Being Enough by Chieko N. Okazaki. Last night I read a part that really stood out to me. Lately, probably due to being tired and pregnant, I feel like I am not doing enough. At the end of the day I have been focusing on what I DIDN'T accomplish rather than what I DID accomplish that specific day. Also, I feel like there is so much to do, after having moved into a new house there is still so much decorating and work that needs to be done, being a mom to Carly requires a lot of work, being a wife, doing things for me so I don't go insane. It is overwhelming sometimes and the way that I deal with it is that I find myself not doing anything that I need to be doing. Anyway...back to the book... here is the part I read last night.
"An anonymous writer has observed:
Many People seem to believe God has called them to live successful lives. In fact, He calls each one of us to live faithful lives--lives of obedience, devotion, worship, and service.
With each day there often reamins a residue of things left undone, unsaid, unachieved, or unconquered. Each day has its own measure of failure, its own degree of trouble (see Matthew 6:34), and its own lingering doubts.
The important point is that we don't need to impose the burden on our lives of judging ourselves against some standard of perfection. God asks us only to live each day with gladness as the day he has given us. Whether it's a successful day or not does not lie completely in our power. Successful compared to what? If we recieve each day from God's hands and give it back to him at the end of the day in that same trusting way, there's no end to the good God can do with it in between.

Anyway...I just thought I'd share that little bit because I know as mothers, wives, and women we can sometimes feel like we are not doing enough. We just need to remember waht is really important and trust in God.

On a lighter note....I went to the Doctor today and things are doing great! I weight exactly the same now as I did when I was this far a long with Carly which I am happy about! I also found two websites while looking through a magazine in the waiting room. For those of you who like to use coupons.
http://www.coupons.com/
http://www.coupons.smartsource.com/
I was looking through them and they had some pretty good things.

6 comments:

Shellie said...

It's funny you should write this today. Last night George was saying how much more clutter a baby brings into the house. I was telling George that I hated that because I should be the one to keep the house "uncluttered" and that I wasn't doing a very good job at that. I told him before Abby I was very tidy (and he agreeded) but now I have much less desire to do things. I told him how much that bothered me about myself. He told me that it didn't really bother him and that he knew it was hard with a baby and being pregnant. So that fact that you wrote that today was such a coinsidense!!! LOL!!

Dave and Natasha said...

I have to say ditto to what you said. I have felt so lazy since moving back to St. George. All I feel like I have accomplished is put my house back together, but not really keep it as clean. That sounds like a good book!

Crystal said...

I love that book! I should read it again...

Emma said...

Thanks for the perfect timing on this post, I needed it after the terrible day I've had.
I have heard really good things about this book, after your review I going to buy it on my next trip to the cities.
I am glad all is going well, he's going to be here before you know it.

Pauline said...

All I can say as a mother of only one teenager left in the home is even if nothing gets done and you are spending time with your little ones that is the best time ever spent because they do grow up and leave home and then all you are left with is a clean house and only your husband to share it with which is fine but sometimes I miss the clutter.

Des said...

It took me four kids to finally realize that it doesn't matter if the toys are all picked up at the end of the day. (Although it still does drive me crazy!) What matters is how much time I have spent with the kids that day. Did I help them with homework and piano? Did I play with them? That's what matters the most. That's what I love about the "Fly Lady" method of cleaning. I do my few chores that I have assigned to each day, my 15 minutes in the zone of the day and then I am done cleaning for the day! It sure makes it nice when unexpected messes come up because I actually have time to deal with them. Just relax and enjoy being a mom!