"In our search to obtain relief from the stresses of life, may we earnestly seek ways to simplify our lives. May we comply with the inspired counsel and direction the Lord has given us in the great plan of happiness. May we be worthy to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost and follow the guidance of the Spirit as we navigate this mortal journey. May we prepare ourselves to accomplish the ultimate purpose of this mortal test- to return and live with our Heavenly Father."

-L. Tom Perry

Friday, June 3, 2011

hmmm...can't think of a post title......

We haven't been up to much lately. Now that we have the birthday's done for another year we've just been hanging out, trying to stay cool in this ridiculously HOT and unusually DRY Texas weather. Unfortunately the dryness has done a toll on my garden and my intolerance for heat makes it to where I physically can't stand outside and water my garden for three hours a day. So, I do the best I can and I continue to pray for rain.
So, I picked these pumpkins the other day. Mostly because the vines they were growing on were quickly dying from a cause unknown. I baked them and pureed them and now they are sitting in my freezer just waiting to be used.
Now, about the dying vines. I realized that my pumpkins are being overrun by Squash Bugs! I was out watering today and noticed almost hundreds (you think I'm exaggerating) of squash bugs big and little pile out from my pumpkin plants. I'm so sad. I've already lost two plants. And I'm pretty sure we're going to loose the rest :( I'm not quite sure I can get the bugs under control. Stinkin' bugs anyway.

My Zucchini Brownies (more like cake) It's funny. I'm growing all these veggies and all I can think of doing is make desserts with them.


I planted so many flowers earlier this year. They all started by seed. I was growing very impatient waiting for them to do something. Finally these past couple weeks they are slowly starting to bloom. I just noticed the other day my sunflowers are starting to bloom. I think next year I will control myself better and only pick a couple of flowers to grow instead of 15 different kinds. I kind of got carried away.


And of course, we can always count on some sort of wildlife to keep my kids busy for a couple hours.


2 comments:

Des said...

That cake looks yummy. Hey- sorry it's so hot there. We made it to 70 today. Which I don't mind- I just hope the rain makes it your directions because quite frankly- I am done with it! :/

Unknown said...

Pretty pumpkins!