"In our search to obtain relief from the stresses of life, may we earnestly seek ways to simplify our lives. May we comply with the inspired counsel and direction the Lord has given us in the great plan of happiness. May we be worthy to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost and follow the guidance of the Spirit as we navigate this mortal journey. May we prepare ourselves to accomplish the ultimate purpose of this mortal test- to return and live with our Heavenly Father."

-L. Tom Perry

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Thanking our lucky stars!



I never thought I'd have to worry about wildfires living in southeast Texas. This fire started yesterday (labor day) afternoon. We had family over and some of them noticed a huge pillar of smoke, and it just kept getting bigger and darker. I have to say, I was pretty worried. I think the fire started only 3 miles away from us. Luckily (for us) the wind was blowing it away from us, but a lot of people have been affected by it and I am so sad! It could have easily been us that had to evacuate and I am so thankful that our house was protected. I know it sounds silly but even this little close call puts things in perspective. If I had less than 30 min. to evacuate what would I grab? How would I react? I hope I'm never faced with the reality of having to do something like that and I pray for those who were affected by this!


*


Below are some recent pictures that Carly has drawn. She is quite the artist with quite the imagination.



This one is a picture of one of our cats "Smudge"


This is a drawing of Dolly our dog, complete with a cut that she had on her head.



This one is my personal favorite. This is Nanny our goat.


4 comments:

Pauline said...

I love Carly's artwork she takes after her mommy in the art department.

I am so glad that the fire did not blow in your direction and am saddened for the people that it reached. I hope that not many lost their homes.

Not so sure I am likeing three of my daughter living away right now. I feel like I need to take you all in and put you under my mommy wings and protect you all. But I know that the Lord is watching out for you so I will let Him do that for me. Love you

Des said...

I am so happy to hear that the fire did not make it your way. That is one of my worst nightmares for sure.
Carly's artwork looks great. I love the picture of Nanny as well. :)

Emma said...

That picture of Nanny kills me! What a little artist you have!

And please, please be safe. If needed, the offer still stand, you can move to MN, we'd (and my we I mean mostly me) would love it.

Unknown said...

Nice artwork, Carly!